Job Title: Women’s Economic Empowerment Senior Researcher
Location: Phnom Penh, with field work in other provinces
Report to: Women’s Empowerment Program Manager
Closing date: August 14, 2016
Water, sanitation and hygiene Enterprise Development (WaterSHED) is a local NGO that works with small businesses and local government to create a dynamic market for water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) products and services. Using a market-based approach, WaterSHED is helping to improve the health of families across Cambodia. Through its Sanitation Marketing program, WaterSHED has enabled the sale of nearly 140,000 latrines, reaching over half a million people. WaterSHED’s marketing efforts are supported by leadership programs, including Civic Champions (a capacity development program for local government leaders) and our Women’s Economic Empowerment Program.
ABOUT THE SENIOR RESEARCHER POSITION
The purpose of this position is to lead field research for WaterSHED’s Women’s Empowerment Program.
Our women’s empowerment research is focused on female entrepreneurs in the private markets for water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) products in Cambodia. WaterSHED’s previous research had indicated that Cambodian women might face unique barriers and risks in their efforts to generate income from producing and promoting WASH products and services. In response, WaterSHED developed a unique program to facilitate women successfully seizing opportunities in the WASH market. We are now investigating the challenges and successes of sales agents, suppliers, and other market actors so that we can better promote the recruitment, success and retention of women in the rural WASH workforce. This research will inform the design of appropriate, effective and sustainable responses that can be embedded into the development of these new market systems.
In addition to this research, we are also monitoring and evaluating the success of our training and mentorship network of 270+ women, building case studies from stories of change, and more.
With a focused on qualitative research, the Senior Researcher will take the lead on designing and conducting qualitative and quantitative data collection, documentation, data analysis and context-sensitive interpretation of the information collected. The research is both exploratory and action-oriented.
Within the Women’s Economic Empowerment Program team, the Senior Researcher will report to the Program Manager and work closely with the Action Researcher. They will also receive direction and support from WaterSHED’s Social Behavior and Research Specialist, and work collaboratively with our Business Intelligence Unit and other program teams.
The successful candidate will have a strong technical background in social research methodology and excellent communication skills. They will be curious, proactive, and enthusiastic about the potential for Cambodian women to be economically empowered while improving the health of their family and community.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Working with the Action Researcher to design field research based on previous research and insights
- Planning, managing and conducting data collection in the field in cooperation with the Action Researcher
- Documenting, structuring, analysing, interpreting and summarizing data collected in the field
- Preparing and presenting of research findings, in English
- Overseeing the data collection for the mid-line and end-line evaluation, cleaning and organizing the data, and preparing analysis in comparison to the baseline
- Advising other Women’s Empowerment project staff on monitoring and evaluation practices
- Taking responsibility for the collection, storage, and utilization of quantitative and qualitative data relating to the Women’s Empowerment Program
- Fluent Khmer, excellent written and spoken English
- Advanced degree in sociology, anthropology, human geography, psychology or other related social science
- Candidates with lower formal qualifications, but extensive training in methods of social sciences and field experience conducting qualitative data collection, analysis and reporting will also be considered
- Demonstrated skills and experience working on both quantitative and qualitative data projects
- Received training in good practices of social research and has substantial experience conducting research in rural Cambodia
- Advanced command of Stata or SPSS is a strong asset
- Experience with data visualization and communication is beneficial
- Professional confidence
To Apply :
The application must include:
- CV, and
- Cover letter – please include your expected salary range, and the date you would be available to start.
Please do not send zipped (.zip) folders of documents.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.