Job title: Women’s Economic Empowerment Project Coordinator
Location: Phnom Penh, frequent travel to provinces
Report to: Women’s Empowerment Program Manager
Closing: August 01, 2016
WaterSHED’s Women’s Economic Empowerment Program aims to create greater opportunities for female entrepreneurs to succeed in the private markets for water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) products in Cambodia.
The Women’s Empowerment Project Coordinator is a senior role within the program, and is responsible for a training and mentorship network of 270 women across eight provinces. Network members in each province meet together regularly for training workshops, where they gain knowledge and skills relating to personal mindset, leadership, business planning and success, financial literacy, and WASH. They also host and participate in peer mentoring groups in their communes.
The Project Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the activities of the network. This includes leading the team to design effective activities that will increase the power of women to make decisions, which will increase their economic opportunities and improve the health of their families and communities.
Success in this role depends on building excellent relationships with network members, local government officials, our training partners, and other program staff within WaterSHED.
The Project Coordinator is supported by a Project Assistant.
WaterSHED is a local water, sanitation and hygiene organization (WASH) that works with small businesses to market effective and affordable WASH products to rural communities in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. Using an award-winning, market-based approach, WaterSHED is helping to improve the health of families across Cambodia. Through our Sanitation Marketing program, WaterSHED has enabled the sale of more than 135,000 latrines, reaching nearly half a million people. Our social enterprises in Vietnam and Cambodia are replicating this success with innovative technologies for washing hands and water purification. WaterSHED’s marketing efforts are supported by leadership programs including Civic Champions, a capacity development program for Commune Councillors, and our Women’s Empowerment Program.
We have a dynamic, highly collaborative culture that sets high standards for our work. If you learn quickly, have a sense of humor and want to help those around you grow, you will be welcome at WaterSHED.
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS ROLE INCLUDE:
- Work in close partnership with training partners, ensuring that the project is achieving its objectives
- Facilitate some workshop sessions
- Maintain positive relationships with local government officials
- Develop and maintain relationships with network members, offering personalized support and tracking stories of change
- Monitor the project, which involves regular communication with all network members
- Promote an entrepreneurial spirit within the network
- Explore ideas for the economic empowerment of network members, and for the utilization of peer mentoring techniques to this end
- Provide expertise on gender issues in Cambodia, and providing relevant advice and insights to the Program Manager
- Build productive working relationships across other WaterSHED programs, and find ways to have women’s empowerment supporting and integrating with these other programs
- Supervise the work of the Project Assistant, and be ultimately responsible for the successful logistical running of the network project
- Work closely with the Program Manager to develop strategy, report on stories of change, solve problems, make decisions, etc.
- Relevant Bachelors degree – e.g. business, economics, community development, sociology
- A Masters degree is desirable but not essential – professional experience and personal drive is most important
Knowledge & experience:
- Experience in designing and undertaking community-based projects in rural Cambodia
- Experience planning and facilitating group sessions and/or training events
- Experience supervising the work of others
- Familiarity with gender issues in Cambodia and a demonstrated commitment to women’s empowerment
- Experience working with different levels of Cambodian government leadership
- Knowledge of WASH issues in rural Cambodia is desirable but not essential
Skills & abilities:
- Ability to travel almost every week to the provinces, staying 1-3 nights in provincial towns (the network project operates in Takeo, Kampong Speu, Kampong Cham, Kampong Chhnang, Pursat, and Battambang)
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills, in both Khmer and English
- Excellent presentation and/or facilitation skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Good problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Proactive and assertive, with the ability to work independently and also to supervise others
- Confident and mature, with the ability to build strong relationships with people of different backgrounds (e.g. successful business people, rural villagers)
- Strong work ethic and personal drive to succeed
- Commitment to the economic empowerment of women in Cambodia
To Apply :
The application must include:
- CV, and
- Cover letter – please include your expected salary range, and the date you would be available to start.
Please do not send zipped (.zip) folders of documents.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.