Location: Phnom Penh, frequent travel to provinces
Report to: Women’s Empowerment Program Lead
Closing: September 20, 2015
** PLEASE NOTE: Interviews for this position are already being conducted. Preference will be given to those who apply early. **
WaterSHED is seeking a Program Coordinator to work on the planning and implementation of its new Women’s Empowerment Program. The program aims to create greater opportunities for women to succeed in rural markets for water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in Cambodia.
Rural WASH businesses can offer exciting opportunities for entrepreneurial women to earn a good income, increase self-confidence, and grow expertise. However, research by WaterSHED has shown that women face particular challenges in working in rural markets for WASH and do not participate at the same rates as men.
One key objective of the Women’s Empowerment Program is to develop a network of women across the eight provinces in which WaterSHED operates. The network will come together in different groups for a variety of training, mentorship, and peer support activities.
We have an ambitious agenda, and we are looking for a dynamic Program Coordinator to take an active role in setting up and coordinating our women’s network. The Program Coordinator will work closely with the Program Lead to build a learning community of women across eight provinces in Cambodia.
WaterSHED, a local water, sanitation and hygiene organization (WASH), works with small private enterprises to market effective and affordable WASH products to rural communities in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. Using an award-winning, market-based approach, WaterSHED is helping to improve the health of families across Cambodia. Through our Sanitation Marketing program, WaterSHED has enabled the sale of more than 125,000 latrines, reaching nearly half a million people. Our social enterprises in Vietnam and Cambodia are replicating this success with innovative technologies for washing hands and water purification. WaterSHED’s marketing efforts are supported by leadership programs including Civic Champions, a capacity development program for Commune Councillors, and our Women’s Empowerment Program.
We have a dynamic, highly collaborative culture that sets high standards for our work. If you learn quickly, have a sense of humor and want to help those around you grow, you will be welcome at WaterSHED.
To learn more about WaterSHED visit: www.watershedasia.org
- Providing input and ideas into the strategy, design and structure of the program
- Managing the work of the Program Assistant, and overseeing the logistics of the program
- Sourcing guest speakers and expert mentors to participate in the program, and working with them to prepare for their roles
- Sourcing and supporting female participants
- Liaising with the program training facilitators, and other external consultants and stakeholders
- Establish advisory board
- Being a committed participant in a ‘Train the Trainer’ program, and then helping to facilitate training and peer support sessions
- Building and maintaining relationships with other organizations working in women’s empowerment in Cambodia, continually growing expertise on gender issues in Cambodia, and providing relevant advice and insights to the Program Lead
- Finding ways to integrate this work with other WaterSHED programs, including the Civic Champions leadership program
- Translating between Khmer and English as necessary
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in designing and undertaking community-based projects
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills, in both Khmer and English
- Proactive and assertive, with the ability to work independently and also to direct other
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Strong work ethic and personal drive to succeed
- Willingness to travel regularly to rural areas
- Experience planning and facilitating group sessions and/or training events is preferreds
- Good problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Commitment to professional development and learning, especially in the development of leadership and management skills
- Familiarity with gender issues in Cambodia and a demonstrated commitment to women’s empowerment
- Confident and mature, with the ability to build strong relationships with people of different backgrounds (e.g. successful business people, rural villagers)
- Relevant Bachelors degree required
- A Masters degree is desirable but not essential – professional experience and personal drive is most important
To Apply: Interested candidates should send an email with the subject:
“Women’s Empowerment Program Coordinator” to email@example.com
The application must include a Cover letter and CV
Please do not send copies of certificates or documentation in addition to the above.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.