Job Title: Team Leader, Systems Strengthening
Location: Phnom Penh, with extensive provincial travel
Report to: Senior Manager, Systems Strengthening
Closing date: This position is opened until filled.
WaterSHED is seeking a dynamic and talented Team Leader to help us engage more effectively within the rural sanitation and hygiene sector in Cambodia. We believe that exchanging and learning within our sector and within the communities we serve are pillars of our success.
WaterSHED uses a systems-approach to build the rural market for water, sanitation, and hygiene products and services across Southeast Asia. Based in Cambodia, WaterSHED uses in-depth research to identify strategic opportunities and gaps in the wider system, and then works to strengthen the capacity and relationships between key actors to create a more dynamic and resilient market.
We don’t reach millions of people. We build systems that do.
By engaging key actors in the system, including small businesses, customers, and local government, WaterSHED facilitates the adoption of toilets, water filters, and handwashing stations – building a market that functions independent of traditional aid. To date, WaterSHED’s hands-off marketing approach has successfully enabled small businesses to sell more than 150,000 toilets, generating more than USD $6 million in revenue for rural businesses, and helping accelerate sanitation coverage from a stagnant 25% to nearly 50% in five years.
WaterSHED has been featured in Reuters and Huffington Post, and is a twice winner of USAID’s Development Innovation Ventures competition, a winner of Canada Grand Challenges Stars in Global Public Health, and 1st prize winner of the Reed Elsevier Environmental Challenge.
COLLECTIVE IMPACT INITIATIVE
To achieve large-scale impact and reach the government’s ambitious goal of universal sanitation coverage by 2025, we believe strong sector collaboration is key. In 2017, WaterSHED is facilitating the introduction of a new approach to engage stakeholders in the Cambodian Rural Sanitation and Hygiene sub-sector. This new Collective Impact approach will promote structured, collaborative efforts to accelerate sanitation coverage in rural Cambodia.
WaterSHED is recruiting a Team Leader to help bring about this change. Working seamlessly in Khmer and English, qualified candidates will be proficient communicators, natural facilitators, patient collaborators, and effective leaders. The successful candidate will have an unrivaled opportunity to help us grow our impact, and change the landscape of the rural sanitation and hygiene sector in Cambodia.
You will be key member of the WaterSHED systems-strengthening team working closely with the Senior Manager, Systems Strengthening. Supported by an assistant, you will also have supervisory responsibility for a coordinator/social researcher and have dedicated marketing and communications support.
- Backbone support to the sector: You will play a key role in building and mentoring a team of facilitators and coaches tasked with engaging a diverse array of actors within the rural sanitation and hygiene system in order to collectively shape a common vision, to develop and use shared measurement systems, and to align programs in order to foster mutually reinforcing activities. This support will be planned and implemented in close cooperation with – and under the auspices of – the Ministry of Rural Development, and in coordination with current and future partners, donors, implementers, and other stakeholders in the rural sanitation and hygiene sector.
- Strategy & Learning: In close cooperation with the Research and Learning Manager you will oversee the work of the Coordinator/Researcher. You will contribute to the development and honing of the strategy to strengthen the system, to engage system actors, and to understand better how they interact and behave, in order to help the sector engage collectively.
- Advocacy & Coordination: In close cooperation with the Communications Manager, you will oversee the work of the Communications and Marketing specialist to help develop and cultivate channels to unite and amplify the voice of the rural sanitation and hygiene sector within more public spheres of government, business, and media in order to support sector policymaking, coordination, resource mobilization, and behaviour change. In support of advocacy for new initiatives within the sector, you will develop a grants-making scheme in order to seed multi-stakeholder initiatives.
- Marketing: Together with the Communications and Marketing specialist you will help build momentum towards a critical mass of partners and activities engaged in the collective impact initiative through ongoing outreach, marketing, and promotional efforts. You may be required to help direct and manage execution by outside marketing firms.
- Management and Budgeting: In conjunction with the Senior Manager, Systems Strengthening you will have key responsibilities for overall project management including staff management, reporting, budgeting and administration.
- More than 5 years of experience in program management, community development, leadership and empowerment. A Master’s degree in relevant field is a plus.
- Proven experience in fostering change, mentoring and coaching for success.
- Strong writing skill. Candidates should enjoy writing and be capable of producing focused, quality communications.
- Willingness to travel in-country and internationally.
- Strong English language writing skills.
- Driver’s license for car is a plus.
WHO ARE YOU?
Working with us will give you the chance to use your creativity and deploy your ideas every day. We have a dynamic, highly collaborative culture that sets high standards for our work.
We are looking for people who appreciate WaterSHED’s values and mission, have excellent communication skills, are entrepreneurial and creative, take initiative, and are enthusiastic. Good problem-solving, critical-thinking skills, honesty, and trustworthiness are essential. See our values at www.watershedasia.org/about-us
Interested applicants please send your application including:
- An application form (download),
- A cover letter, outlining your skills and experience;
- And your C.V. or resume
to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Team Leader – Systems Strengthening”.
Deadline: This position is opened until filled