Hands-Off – Catalyzing the Market for Sanitation
Cambodian consumers know what they want. Cambodian enterprises know how to deliver. All it takes is a catalyst.
The Hands-Off Sanitation Marketing Project supports local enterprises to profitably sell sanitation products and services that households want and can afford. Instead of project beneficiaries, we see toilet-less households as an untapped market of consumers ready and willing to invest in a product that will change their lives.
Sanitation Marketing: Quick Facts
- 77% of rural Cambodians are without access to improved sanitation
- 154 local sanitation enterprises trained and supported by the Hands-Off Sanitation Marketing program
- 620 sales agents doing village-level promotions
- 53 districts touched by social marketing messages and commercial sales events
- Over 48,000 toilets sold by project-supported enterprises since Jan. 2011 – over 200,000 people now defecating with dignity!
- $42 USD average household investment in a low-cost ‘core latrine’ model
Project-supported enterprises track their monthly sales, but this doesn’t capture the full impact of the Hands-Off campaign. Watch this page for updates on changing sanitation coverage in our target areas.