Hands-Off – Catalyzing the Market for Sanitation
Cambodian consumers know what they want. Cambodian enterprises know how to deliver. All it takes is a catalyst.
The Hands-Off Sanitation Marketing Project supports local enterprises to profitably sell sanitation products and services that households want and can afford. Instead of project beneficiaries, we see toilet-less households as an untapped market of consumers ready and willing to invest in a product that will change their lives.
Sanitation Marketing: Quick Facts
- 159 active local sanitation enterprises are currently supported by the program
- 7 provinces (reaching 40% of the population and 28 % of geographic area of Cambodia), encompassing 59 districts are targeted with social marketing messages and commercial sales events
- 4,205 sales events have been held in 4063 villages – 124,371 people participated and made aware of the health benefits of owning a latrine and where they can purchase one
- Over 55,000 toilets sold by project-supported enterprises – over 250,000 people now defecating with dignity!
- More than $2 million USDretained in the local, rural economy through sales of latrines
- 77% of rural Cambodians are without access to improved sanitation
- 154 local sanitation enterprises trained and supported by the Hands-Off Sanitation Marketing program
- 620 sales agents doing village-level promotions
- Average total program cost of only $18 USD per latrine (including all in-country program costs, studies, international conferences and dissemination, etc.)
- $42 USD average household investment in a low-cost ‘core latrine’ model
Project-supported enterprises track their monthly sales, but this doesn’t capture the full impact of the Hands-Off campaign. Watch this page for updates on changing sanitation coverage in our target areas.