Well, maybe Happy isn’t the most appropriate exclamation for World Toilet Day. Why? because 2.6 billion people worldwide still don’t have access to the basic human right of improved sanitation. That’s nearly 40 percent of the world’s population without safe, clean and dignified defecation options.
So why the celebration? Think of it as a work party. We’re making progress, but we still have A LOT to do. 2015 is right around the corner and we have a lot to accomplish if we’re going to achieve the Millennium Development Goals for Sanitation And Hygiene…and even then, we’re only halfway.
World Toilet Day links:
- Straight to the source – World Toilet Organization has all sorts of great WTD Information and links
- toiletday.org – they’ve been talking sh*t all week
- The latest edition of WASHplus Weekly is dedicated to recent studies and articles on communal sanitation issues.
- Amnesty International – Giving a crap about sanitation rights
- Time Magazine’s “A Brief History of Toilets“