Job Title: Coordinator and Researcher, Systems Strengthening
Location: Phnom Penh, with extensive provincial travel
Report to: Team Leader – Systems Strengthening
Closing date: This position is opened until filled.
WaterSHED is seeking a dynamic and talented Researcher who is interested in transitioning to Project Coordination to help us engage more effectively within the rural sanitation and hygiene sector in Cambodia. We believe that exchanging and learning within our sector and within the communities we serve are pillars of our success.
WaterSHED uses a systems-approach to build the rural market for water, sanitation, and hygiene products and services across Southeast Asia. Based in Cambodia, WaterSHED uses in-depth research to identify strategic opportunities and gaps in the wider system, and then works to strengthen the capacity and relationships between key actors to create a more dynamic and resilient market.
We don’t reach millions of people. We build systems that do.
By engaging key actors in the system, including small businesses, customers, and local government, WaterSHED facilitates the adoption of toilets, water filters, and handwashing stations – building a market that functions independent of traditional aid. To date, WaterSHED’s hands-off marketing approach has successfully enabled small businesses to sell more than 150,000 toilets, generating more than USD $6 million in revenue for rural businesses, and helping accelerate sanitation coverage from a stagnant 25% to nearly 50% in five years.
WaterSHED has been featured in Reuters and Huffington Post, and is a twice winner of USAID’s Development Innovation Ventures competition, a winner of Canada Grand Challenges Stars in Global Public Health, and 1st prize winner of the Reed Elsevier Environmental Challenge.
COLLECTIVE IMPACT INITIATIVE
To achieve large-scale impact and reach the government’s ambitious goal of universal sanitation coverage by 2025, we believe strong sector collaboration is key. In 2017, WaterSHED is facilitating the introduction of a new approach to engage stakeholders in the Cambodian Rural Sanitation and Hygiene sub-sector. This new Collective Impact approach will promote structured, collaborative efforts to accelerate sanitation coverage in rural Cambodia.
To support this project, WaterSHED is recruiting a Coordinator/Researcher. Working in both Khmer and English, qualified candidates will be proficient communicators, patient collaborators, and effective leaders. The successful candidate will have an important opportunity to help us grow our impact and change the landscape of the rural sanitation and hygiene sector in Cambodia.
You will be key member of the WaterSHED systems strengthening team working closely with the Team Leader, Systems Strengthening and the Learning and Research Manager.
- Strategy Development Coordination (50%): In order to help the rural sanitation sector engage collectively and move the rural sanitation and hygiene sector closer 100% open defecation free status, you will work in close cooperation with the Team Leader to contribute to the development and honing of the systems strengthening mechanisms to support the rural sanitation and hygiene sector engage and collaborate more broadly, and understand better how they interact and behave.
- Research and Learning (50%): At the same time and with strong support from the Research and Learning Manager, you will work with a consortium of partners to help design and support a strong learning program that will allow for critical reflection on the effectiveness of the overall initiative, which is a pioneering effort in the WASH sector. This will include research designing, planning, data collection, documenting, analyzing, interpreting and summarizing data and preparing and presenting research findings in Khmer and English.
- A degree in sociology, anthropology, human geography, psychology or other related social science. Candidates with lower formal qualifications, but extensive training in methods of social sciences and field experience conducting qualitative data collection, analysis, and reporting will also be considered.
- 5 years of experience working in community development with a research emphasis.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in coordinating multiple and complex activities and in working on both quantitative and qualitative data projects.
- Willingness to travel in-country.
- Strong English language writing skills.
- Driver’s license for car is a plus.
WHO ARE YOU?
Working with us will give you the chance to use your creativity and deploy your ideas every day. We have a dynamic, highly collaborative culture that sets high standards for our work.
We are looking for people who appreciate WaterSHED’s values and mission, have excellent communication skills, are entrepreneurial and creative, take initiative, and are enthusiastic. Good problem-solving, critical-thinking skills, honesty, and trustworthiness are essential. See our values at www.watershedasia.org/about-us
Interested applicants please send your application including:
- An application form (download),
- A cover letter, outlining your research skills (max. 200 words) and your involvement in past research projects (max. 300 words);
- And your C.V. or resume
to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Coordinator/Researcher – Systems Strengthening”.
Deadline: This position is opened until filled