Job Title: Communications & Marketing Specialist, Systems Strengthening
Location: Phnom Penh, with extensive provincial travel
Report to: Communications & Marketing Manager
Closing date: This position is opened until filled.
WaterSHED is seeking a dynamic and talented Communications & Marketing Specialist to help us engage more effectively within the rural sanitation and hygiene sector in Cambodia. We believe that exchanging and learning within our sector and within the communities we serve are pillars of our success.
WaterSHED uses a systems-approach to build the rural market for water, sanitation, and hygiene products and services across Southeast Asia. Based in Cambodia, WaterSHED uses in-depth research to identify strategic opportunities and gaps in the wider system, and then works to strengthen the capacity and relationships between key actors to create a more dynamic and resilient market.
We don’t reach millions of people. We build systems that do.
By engaging key actors in the system, including small businesses, customers, and local government, WaterSHED facilitates the adoption of toilets, water filters, and handwashing stations – building a market that functions independent of traditional aid. To date, WaterSHED’s hands-off marketing approach has successfully enabled small businesses to sell more than 150,000 toilets, generating more than USD $6 million in revenue for rural businesses, and helping accelerate sanitation coverage from a stagnant 25% to nearly 50% in five years.
WaterSHED has been featured in Reuters and Huffington Post, and is a twice winner of USAID’s Development Innovation Ventures competition, a winner of Canada Grand Challenges Stars in Global Public Health, and 1st prize winner of the Reed Elsevier Environmental Challenge.
COLLECTIVE IMPACT INITIATIVE
To achieve large-scale impact and reach the government’s ambitious goal of universal sanitation coverage by 2025, we believe strong sector collaboration is key. In 2017, WaterSHED is facilitating the introduction of a new approach to engage stakeholders in the Cambodian Rural Sanitation and Hygiene sub-sector. This new Collective Impact approach will promote structured, collaborative efforts to accelerate sanitation coverage in rural Cambodia.
To support this project, WaterSHED is recruiting a Communications and Marketing Specialist. Working seamlessly in Khmer and English, qualified candidates will be proficient communicators, natural facilitators, and effective leaders. The successful candidate will have an important opportunity to help us grow our impact and change the landscape of the rural sanitation and hygiene sector in Cambodia.
You will be key member of the WaterSHED systems strengthening team and will work closely with the Team Leader and the Communications and Marketing Manager.
- Advocacy & Coordination: You will help develop and cultivate channels to unite and amplify the voice of the rural sanitation and hygiene sector within more public spheres of government, business, and media in order to support sector policymaking, coordination, resource mobilization, and behaviour change. You will help market the grants-making scheme in order to seed multi-stakeholder initiatives.
- Marketing: You will help to build momentum towards a critical mass of partners and activities engaged in the Systems Strengthening and Collective Impact initiative through ongoing outreach, marketing, and promotional efforts. You will help develop and execute the marketing and communications strategy. You may also work with outside marketing firms to deliver on key elements of the initiative.
- 5 years of experience in Marketing and Communications in a development context.
- Degree in Media, Communications, or equivalent.
- Strong writer in Khmer and English languages. Candidates should enjoy writing and be capable of producing quality communications materials.
- Experience in filming video and shooting photographs
- Proven experience on Mac or PC video editing platform, such as Final Cut Pro or Adobe premiere pro including design software and Photoshop
- Willingness to travel in-country.
- Driver’s license for car is a plus.
WHO ARE YOU?
Working with us will give you the chance to use your creativity and deploy your ideas every day. We have a dynamic, highly collaborative culture that sets high standards for our work.
We are looking for people who appreciate WaterSHED’s values and mission, have excellent communication skills, are entrepreneurial and creative, take initiative, and are enthusiastic. Good problem-solving, critical-thinking skills, honesty, and trustworthiness are essential. See our values at www.watershedasia.org/about-us
Interested applicants please send your application including:
- An application form (download),
- A cover letter, outlining your skills and experience;
- And your C.V. or resume
to email@example.com with the subject “Communications and Marketing – Systems Strengthening”.
Deadline: This position is opened until filled